Wednesday, January 30

Honoring Commitments


It seems as though commitments aren't really commitments any more. Financial promises such as loans or contracts have become lukewarm "I will if I can" declarations and not "I will" promises. RSVP's have become "I got the invitation and will attend if nothing better comes along." Arriving to work on time, getting to your dinner reservation on time, returning phone calls, not blowing off your trainer, etc. have all taken a back seat to "me" initiatives like "I'll do whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it." But the thing that gets me is that the biggest examples of this selfish non-discipline are with people's health. The same people whose self-discipline is lacking in the stuff mentioned above often are poster children for the National Institutes of (non) Health. Straight lines are many times better than operating in some kind of crazed non-pattern of individualism that proves nothing more than how unreliable and unprofessional one is! If you look at any team or any individual that has ACCOMPLISHED in their lives, they all have had one thing in common: concentration. They only took their eyes off the ball when it was "okay" to do so but never for very long. So let's all keep our eyes on the ball and keep our commitments....especially to ourselves!
by Chris Scully

No comments: